Do you want to be a musician? Good news, making music is easy! And so is making your very own shaker to accompany your song. Percussion instruments produce sound through vibration, so if you hit, scrape, rub, or shake the instrument, it makes a sound! Ready to get started?
- Cardboard tube (short or long will work)
- Tape (duct or masking tape work best)
- Dry beans, seeds, rice, small pasta, or similar
- Decorating supplies such as markers, stickers, washi tape, or paint
- Securely tape up one end of your cardboard tube.
- Add a handful or two of dry beans or your filler of choice.
- Securely tape the other end of the cardboard tube.
- Decorate your instrument by drawing on it, painting it, adding stickers, etc.
- Time to play! Give your instrument a shake! How does it sound? Does it sound different if you shake up and down instead of side to side? Make your own one-person band by singing along to the beat. If you’d like to add more sounds, try accompanying your shaker with some body percussion: click your tongue, stomp your feet, or tap your belly!