Create handmade tortillas to enjoy with family and friends!
- Masa harina (2 cups)
- Warm water (1.5 to 2 cups)
- Large bowl
- Wax paper (Two 8 inch square pieces)
- Tray or clean table surface
- Griddle or cast iron pan
- Optional: rolling pin
- Measure 2 cups of masa harina and add to a large bowl.
- Add 1.5-2 cups of water to the masa. Double check the directions on the package to give you specific guidance.
- Mix masa and water and let sit for 5 minutes. This is your dough that will become your tortilla!
- Knead the dough for several minutes until the dough is smooth and releases from your hands without sticking.
- Add more water (if dough is too dry) or add more masa (if dough is too watery).
- Form balls of dough the size of a golf ball or plum (you should be able to make 16-18 balls from the dough).
- Place one piece of wax paper on top of your tray or table.
- Place one ball of dough on top of the wax paper.
- Place another piece of wax paper on top of your ball of dough.
- Press the dough with your hands or a rolling pin so that’s about 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Heat your griddle or pan on high heat (with adult assistance).
- Remove the uncooked tortilla from your wax paper and place it on the hot griddle or pan (with adult assistance).
- Cook the tortilla for 30-60 seconds on each side (with adult assistance).
- Remove the tortilla when it looks slightly toasted and after air pockets have formed (with adult assistance).
- Keep your tortilla warm by wrapping it in a dish towel until you are ready to eat it!
- What happened when you added water to the masa harina?
- How can you make a ball out of the dough?
- What happened when you pressed the ball of dough to make a tortilla?
- What shape is your tortilla?
LEARNING BEHIND THE PLAY
- Supports gross and fine motor skills as children engage hands and arms to knead and press dough
- Encourages basic step-by-step directions to create a final outcome
- Introduces basic geometry concept of how three-dimensional shapes (sphere) when flattened can become a two-dimensional shape (circle)
TAKE IT FURTHER
Encourage your child to draw a visual recipe (a drawing of a recipe’s steps and ingredients) of how they made a tortilla. Ask your child to think about the steps they took and what ingredients were needed to make a tortilla. Have your child describe the steps and ingredients as they show you their visual recipe drawing.
Made possible by the Presenting Sponsor