Send A Secret Message
Surprise your family and friends with a secret message! Secret messages are a special way to let your family and friends know that you love them. Watch their faces light up as a magical message appears on the paper right before their eyes. Make a secret message by using a white crayon, white paper and watercolor. Children will learn about how the wax in the crayons do not mix with the watercolors, also known as a watercolor crayon resist.
- White crayon
- White paper (5×7” or half sheet), multiple sheets
- Bowl (for water)
- Paint brush
- Paper towel
- Try it yourself first! Draw a picture on white paper with only a white crayon. Press hard!
- When your drawing is done, lightly paint all over your paper, and the picture will magically appear.
- Now, think about a special drawing that you would like to send to a friend, family member, or teacher.
- Draw that picture on the white paper with a white crayon. Don’t forget to press hard!
- Give your picture to someone else. Instruct them to use watercolor to paint over the paper to reveal your secret message!
- Can you see the drawing you made?
- What happens when you paint over the white crayon?
- What happens when you paint one color over the other?
LEARNING BEHIND THE PLAY
- Introduces cause and effect as watercolor is painted over the white crayon drawing to reveal what was created.
- Encourages creative and artistic expression through experimenting with and combining different art techniques as drawing and painting.
- Promotes fine motor skills through drawing and painting.
TAKE IT FURTHER
Make leaf rubbings exciting and magical by using a white crayon and watercolor paint. Remove the paper from the white crayon. Place a leaf underneath a white piece of paper, rub your crayon back and forth over the paper. Repeat the process by moving your leaf to another position under the paper. Apply watercolor paint over the paper. The leaves will magically appear!