You’ve read so many books, but have you ever thought of writing your own? Come up with your own story, then create an accordion style book to display it. Accordion books can fold up to be added to your bookshelf or stand up on display with all the pages on view at once!
- Plain paper
- Coloring supplies
- Glue stick
- Optional: Cereal box cardboard
MAKE A BOOK
- Cut a piece of paper in half lengthwise.
- Fold each piece in half widthwise once and then fold the top flap in half again, aligning the bottom edge to the top crease. Flip the paper over and do the same to the other side. Your paper should resemble a W when finished.
- Glue your W’s together to make the accordion. Add as many W’s as you think you’ll need to fit your story – you can always add more!
- Optional: Add a cover. Cut two pieces of cereal box cardboard to the size of your book. Glue one piece to each side of your book with the printed side facing in. Now you have a hard-cover ready for cover art!
WRITE YOUR STORY
- Think about some of your favorite stories. They all have a setting (a place where the story happens), a beginning where you meet the characters, a middle where something happens, and an end where everything is settled. What else do you notice about some of your favorite stories?
- Plan your story. Will you tell a new version of a favorite story? A story about something that happened to you? Or will you make up a new story? Think about where your story will take place, who will be in your story, and what will happen.
- Write your story — Flatten out the accordion book and get to work! Introduce your setting and characters. What happens next? And then what? How does it end? Your story can be all pictures, all words, or a mix of both.