Create a simple dog hat using paper and paint that you can use to play pretend at home!
- White cardstock
- Paint (any color)
- Cut two or three strips of paper with the width of 2.5” for the headband.
- Cut two strips of paper for the ears. Shape the strips to look like dog ears.
- Paint the ears and headband strips using a sponge.
- Let dry.
- Staple strips together to make a headband.
- Staple ears onto the headband to make it look like a dog.
- Tell me more about the dog you are creating?
- What kind of shape do our dog’s ears have?
- What color ears will your dog have?
LEARNING BEHIND THE PLAY
- Supports fine motor skills
- Encourage decision making
- Supports pretend play
TAKE IT FURTHER
If you do not have a pet, ask your child what kind of pet she/he would like to have. Talk about that pet. Make a hat that looks like that pet. If you do have a pet, ask your child what kind of other pet she/he would like to have.