Water is everywhere. It covers 70% of the earth’s surface and makes up 60-75% of our bodies. It’s no wonder that water is good for us. It’s the primary building block of cells, transporting oxygen and nutrients so we can stay strong. It also regulates our temperatures so we’re not too hot or too cold. It does so many good things for our body, that’s why we need to drink plenty every day. Creating your own deliciously healthy water is easy and fun – and makes getting the daily 8 glasses more enjoyable.
The ingredients listed are examples and interchangeable – making your own flavored water is a mix and match affair. Have fun experimenting with the items you have on-hand.
- Citrus fruit (Examples: Orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit – whatever you have)/li>
- Cucumber (peeled)
- Pineapple, apple (peeling the apple isn’t necessary)
- Herbs (Examples: Mint, rosemary, basil, thyme – experiment with what you have)
- 6 cups of water
- Ice (optional)
- 2-quart pitcher
- Have fun together choosing the fruit and herbs in any combination. Or, opt to use only one type, such as an orange or lemon.
- Have your little helper wash the fruit and herbs under running water and help peel the citrus.
- Cut the fruit into thin slices. The pith (white part under the citrus rind) is bitter, so remove it before adding fruit.
- Your child can help by adding the fruit slices to the pitcher. You can use the entire piece of fruit or 4-6 slices of each.
- Slightly crush herbs. Your little one can select which, if any, herbs to add to the fruit. Mint is always a good choice, but don’t worry if you don’t have it on-hand. Other herbs add a bit of spice.
- Add ½-1 cup of mint. Add less for a more subtle taste. Other options: 1-2 sprigs of rosemary; 1-4 leaves of basil or thyme; stalks and fronds of 1 crushed fennel bulb
- Cover and chill for at least 2 – 4 hours. The longer you chill the water, the more flavorful it will be.
- Remove from the refrigerator, add ice, and enjoy your tasty beverage!
- Precise measurements aren’t necessary. Have fun. Become a mixologist and experiment with different combinations.
- Spa water lasts up to three days, but discard fruit after 24 hours when it becomes soggy.