We stand strong together.
Proud of My Family
Saturday, June 1, 2024
9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Adding a positive voice to the national narrative around inclusion and diversity, Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose hosts its eighth annual Proud of My Family event. Visitors will enjoy activities designed to celebrate all types of families, especially LGBTQ+ parents, relatives, and friends. The museum’s Proud of My Family event is one of the few Pride events that is held every year for young children and their families.
The event fosters understanding and builds awareness of family diversity while recognizing that families come in all configurations and what binds people together are the shared hopes and dreams for their children and their futures.
Day of Activities:
- Make rainbow streamers to spin, twirl, and whirl.
- March in the visitor parade.
- Rainbow Reflections: Learn the meaning behind the Pride Flag colors with a scavenger hunt.
- Strike a pose to make lasting family memories with a commemorative photo.
- Craft a rainbow and magical designs on faces, hands, and arms with paint in the Museum’s Face Painting Room.
- Move and groove in the Rainbow Dance Zone.
The program was created in partnership with the museum’s LGBTQ advisory committee and is part of the museum’s Cultural Competence strategic commitment. The museum was the recipient of the prestigious Diversity, Equity, Access and Inclusion Award in 2020 by the professional association American Alliance of Museums, which represents over 5,000 museums of all disciplines.
2021 Livestream Celebration
Additional Resources from the Museum’s Minds in Bloom blog
This program was made possible, in part, by a Cultural Affairs grant from the City of San Jose.
Children’s Discovery Museum of San Jose is supported in part by an American Rescue Plan Act grant from the National Endowment for the Arts to support general operating expenses in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
HIGHLIGHTS FROM PAST EVENTS